Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with fresh, fun, international fare. We’re thinking all-out fiesta with fab friends, a build-your-own taco bar and colorful sodas.
Build Your Own Tacos
Use the most colorful taco-building supplies you can find, arrange them in a creative way and let guests build their own tacos. Vibrant foods add to the decor—the more color and patterns, the better.
Combine 1/4 cup ancho chili powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste), 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons paprika, 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 3 teaspoons sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container. Download the recipe card.
TACO BEEF (OR TURKEY)
1. Use 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning in place of a packet of store-bought taco seasoning.
2. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup cold water, and stir to dissolve cornstarch.
3. In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, brown 1 pound ground beef or turkey, add seasoning and cornstarch/water mixture, and simmer over low heat until liquid has thickened. Download the recipe card.
1. Create marinade of 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, 1/2 cup tequila, salt and pepper.
2. Marinade 4 chicken breasts for 1/2 hour at room temperature.
3. Grill chicken for 5-6 minutes (or until cooked through) on each side. Download the recipe card.
1. Combine two packages cherry-tomato-sized heirloom tomatoes (halved), 1/2 cup red onion (chopped), 2 jalapenos (finely chopped), 1/2 freshly squeezed lime, 1/2 cup cilantro and salt and pepper in a bowl and gently mix.
2. Serve with tortilla chips or on tacos. Download the recipe card.
Combine mashed avocado, chopped onion, minced garlic, freshly squeezed lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Download the recipe card.
Skip the drink recipes and add pops of color with Goya soda or other colorful bottled drinks. Fill a tub with ice, and let guests pick their flavor. Easy on you, but not on the eyes.
- Styling by Heather Winkel, photos by Dev Hanumara, food by Kristina Hopkins1 LIKES THIS POST!